Saturday, December 24, 2016


Yikes it's been too long

Yes, I am alive and well.  The time has slipped away and now it's Winter.  The garden is at rest but the last couple months have whizzed by quickly.  I can't believe it's been three months since my last post.  

I have many plans for the post Christmas months before Spring arrives.  There's 85 days until Spring, 141 days until it's frost free, and 152 days until school is out.  Not that I'm counting.  

Let's see if I can get caught up some.
The potato harvest was fairly good.  I harvested about 20 pounds from eight plants.  For me that's a pretty good harvest.  I'm planting potatoes at Terra Nova Gardens next year so the harvest should be much larger.
The backyard garden and Terra Nova Gardens were cleaned up and put to sleep for the Winter.  The backyard garden always seems to zoom into a weedy mess by the end of the summer.  I think it was four or five yard waste bags of debris to clean out all the beds.  
Half of Terra Nova Gardens has been developed.  Next year four more stone bordered beds will be built.  
The side yard Fall project is half finished.  The was an area that was just a junk, weed, scrub tree infested area.  I finally got inspired and began turning it into a side yard patio.  It will have a twin section built next year to complete the project.  I've wanting to do this for years.

The month of December was spent sending out Christmas cards.  Just printing the letter was a project in itself this year.  Three pages both sides for 90 cards took a lot of ink cartridges.  Every year I say it's the last then through out the year as I run into those that received a card, they say how much they enjoyed it.  So I continue to send them out.  

Have a very Merry Christmas and a 
  Happy New Year

5 comments:

  1. I just love those stone lined beds. I did a good portion of my garden like that as well.
    It "popped" into my head as I was reading your post that maybe you might want to put your main garden at Terra Nova, and just keep things at home that need daily picking (tomatoes or salad greens) at home. You could do that in just a bed or two at most. That would help with the weeds. Also, lots of chopped leaves to "smother" the beds would be a good addition.
    You sure send a lot of cards. I complained about 18!! Well, that's a sign you have a LOT of friends, which is all good.
    A Very Merry Christmas to you, David. Hope you have a productive garden in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I six tomato plants in my back yard. This year the potatoes will move to terra Nova gardens and the cucumbers will move into the backyard (Urban Ranch). The two other beds will be salad greens. I'll probably plant flowers under the tomatoes again this year. It kept the weeds down in that bed really good. I'll put flowers under the cucumbers as well.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  2. Always a pleasure to read your posts and see the progress of your garden and other projects. Thanks for sharing. From Southeast Texas, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Peace and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. I love seeing the progress you've made as the year goes on. NIce potatoes BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People really appreciate connecting even if it is just the annual Christmas letter. The patio sounds like a nice idea. We totally froze here the weekend before Christmas. -16 Broke a really old record. Now to plan for next year's garden. Take care and have a happy and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete