Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sudden life changes

Life can change in the twinkling of an eye.  Actually, scientists have measured the twinkling of an eye and it's 20,000th of a second.  That's pretty quick, don't you think?  Just that fast major changes can happen for the good or the bad in life.  One such change has happened in my life this last month.  You have heard many stories about Bradley my grandson and I have written about many conversations that we have had over the last five years.  Five years ago he came to live in my household with his Mom.  Together, he, his Mom, and I went through some very tough behavior issue years with him.  At the age of nine, Bradley had grown into a great well mannered boy on the way to becoming a teenager.  As he packed and left for his summer visit with his Dad in Texas, I never thought it would be a time of sudden change but it was.  Two days before coming home from Texas the dreaded phone call came from my daughter announcing that Bradley would be living with his Dad in Texas.  The decision was made by father, mother, and Bradley.  It's been a couple weeks since that day and the emotion of it all is still fresh.  The grandfather - grandson bond was strong and will take some time to get used to the idea of not seeing his shining face in my home.  Life is quite different without hearing the word "Grandpa" at least a hundred times a day.  Just as quickly as Bradley came into my life, he left.  Living 1000 miles will keep me from seeing him except during summer visits.

The dreaded Cancer word can strike fear into the hearts of even the most strong.  This year continues to be a year of sudden happenings.  January brought the advent of an appendectomy, then soon after came the prostate cancer diagnoses.  The year of 2014 is certainly a year of sudden life changes.  The procedure for seeding the prostate has been completed and I'm now radiation hot for 3 months.  No babies on my lap.  No pets on my lap.  Pregnant mother's to be have to stay a distance of six feet away.  Four days after the seeds have been planted, I'm feeling pretty normal but am really trying to be good for awhile longer.  Just for good measure I threw in a Colonoscopy.  One polyp was found and removed with out issue.  So after recovering from the prostate seeding, I should be systems full speed ahead for the rest of my life. 

So I'm alive and well and on the way to recovery both emotionally and physically.  Don't worry about me I'm seriously thinking about mowing the grass tomorrow.  That's easing into to normal, don't you think?  At least it's not digging post holes, building fences, restoring concrete steps, or carrying heavy rocks for raised bed borders.  I'll probably have to wait another week before doing that.   Ok Ok, I'm just messing with you.  I'll be sure not to over do it.

Have a great end of summer time outside.
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Mowing the grass is probably the best therapy ever. Years ago, before much psychotherapy I remember my mother telling her gal pals to go out and rake the leaves or mow the grass instead of stewing. Fast forward to just a few years ago when a psychologist friend explained that physical activity produces chemicals in the brain that kind of flush out depression. What do you know? Mom knows best.

    Your grandson is building a special bond with his father that may not have been possible without your loving connection first. What a special boy. Get him to mow the grass for you the next time he's around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that "the boy" has moved, but I guess it's best that he is with his father. You've joined the unfortunate ranks of grandparents that live too far away--a sign of modern times, isn't it? My grandson is 2000 miles away. I was able to see him twice yearly, but since medical "issues" reared their ugly heads here , we've been unable to travel . I miss him (and my son) so very much. You'll have to get Skype and talk to him face to face on the computer. It's not as good, but it's something.

    I agree with Maybelline--mowing might be good....just don't overdo!! Best of luck on your treatment, David. You're in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sorry to hear about some of the life changes. Hope your radiation therapy goes well for you and that your grandson gets to see you a few times a year, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading your blog. Your honesty and open frankness are refreshing. It says a lot about a person who can show compassion and perseverance in spite of all that life throws at them. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the shared life experience - and the gardening stories, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BriarRabbtz, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a great encouraging comment. I'm really doing well in recovery. I feel normal but know that I'm not yet back to normal. I try to be as real with my blog readers as I can.

      Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. Keeping you in prayer here too Dave. Your joyful attitude toward life is an inspiration.

    May the cancer be conquered and may you be reunited with your grandson as often as possible--may the separation only serve to strengthen the bonds between you.

    Blessings and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see you getting quite good at staying in touch with Bradley online. You already have the bond. What a difference you've already made in his life. Seems boys at that age make a choice like that. Our nephew did the same thing choosing to live with his dad instead of his mom (my hubby's sister) just last year. He's been home to mom more than we thought. Hang in there.

    You be good. No crazy gardening stunts until you have the all clear.

    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dave, I am glad you are on this side of the tests and treatments, and hope you heal up and gain your energy back.

    I agree that you and Bradley should keep in touch through Skype or Facetime if you have a Mac. I just hope things go well for him at home and at school.

    My vegetable gardens have gotten overgrown as well. Oh, I read your previous post, and hope we both get better crops next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, just popped over from Maple Hill. Your words echo true. I became an empty nester this year and it is a change that doesn't come easy. I look forward to following your garden adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dave, My grand kids live just 10 min. from them and I see them many times a week and even a sleep over now and again. My wifw and I are so much a part of their life that they are almost like they are mine as much as they are their Mom and Dads. I do not think they will ever move away short of growing. At least I sure hope they stay a very big part of my life.
    You can be very proud of the influence you have with your grandson and the bond you have formed. I can assure you that even if he is far away he will alwayse be close to you. Call, scipe (spell), and write him often. It might be easier to tell him how much you love him in a letter than it is to sit a preteen down and talk to them in person. Looking forward to you healing and getting more done at tera Nova. We will talk again soon my friend.

    ReplyDelete