Monday, August 18, 2014

More summer stuff

This week the word was rocks.  While driving down the street I happened upon a homeowner pulling out his limestone rock wall to build a nice wall with retaining wall blocks.  Since I've been thinking about rebuilding my raised beds at Terra Nova Gardens, this will be just the material to use for borders.  I had to be extremely careful not to over load my little Ranger truck.  Rocks are heavier than they look.  I think I hauled six or seven loads to get the entire pile moved.
 
 
Terra Nova Gardens has gotten a bit out of control this year.
Yeah, there's a few Eggplants in the jungle and a tomato plant or two that survived the spring severe weather but nothing really that is going produce an abundant harvest.  I'm in process of trying to bring the area back under control and really I'm thinking about next year's garden.  This year was pretty much a total bust.  It's a good thing I'm not depending on my garden skills to live or I'd be starving this year.
 
 
 Here's a look at the use of the rocks and a little hint of what I hope the rest of the garden will look like by the time the snow flies.  I have plans to make this bed a strawberry bed but as always until the bed is actually planted, plans could change.  This year has been such a challenge to keep the weeds under control.  Behind the fence in the background is a huge brush pile.  That brush pile will become wood chips to cover the weed barrier carpet you see here in the pathway.  The front area by the gate will be an area that will be leveled with the gate sill and covered with patio blocks that look like bricks.  I'm hoping to get that done this year as well.  Much to do and only two months left before the threat of winter comes knocking.
 
 
 One thing I've never had to worry about since I started gardening at Terra Nova Gardens is bugs.  Wild turkeys have roamed the area for my last three growing seasons and never once have I ever had a bug problem.  They are constantly on patrol through out the neighborhood.  They scratch through the mulch but never seem to bother the produce growing.  I have had a problem with some picking at the young corn sprouts but not enough to bother their growth.  Eventually, I have plans to cover the corn patches with chicken wire until they are about two feet tall.  The turkeys then leave the corn alone after the stalks reach about two feet.  Then the threat is at harvest time when the raccoons think the buffet is open.  Hopefully, the tall fence will keep them out when I get it finished but they are pretty resourceful.  So the battle of wits is so on between wild critters of the land and Urban Farmer Nebraska Dave.
 
 

 Remember my newest land acquisition?  On the national night out, the neighborhood had an event planned.  Here is the use of my property for the event.  The Parks and Recreation department brought out a rock wall for the kids to climb and set it up on my property.  The plans for this property is to remain a place for neighborhood events.  Nothing much will happen here for a couple years.  I have enough to keep me busy at Terra Nova Gardens.  Only beautification will happen with maybe some flower beds and in the back corner my idea is to put up an arch with vines growing over it and a bench to sit on while enjoying the activity in the neighborhood. 
 
Everything is set for the August 21st radiation seed planting (pun intended) in the prostate.  I don't fore see any problems before or after the main event.  I should be back out in the garden in two or three days from what the doctors say.  There's virtually no side effects with this procedure.  I'm confident that this is only a slight bump in the road of life.
 
I hope that everyone is enjoying the last days of summer and ready for the fall weather.  I'm looking forward to the soup weather.  I love soup.  Until next time stay healthy and strong.






7 comments:

  1. Free rocks are great! We don't have native rocks down here in New Orleans, Dave - the entire place is built on swamp and delta. Any rocks here have been trucked in, and they cost a lot.

    I'll say a prayer for the success of the radiation seed treatment. And wishing you a Happy Relaxing Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your treatment is a success. Good luck with that, David.

    And it looks like a fantastic turnout for the block party. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking of you, Dave. Let's hope your doc is as good with seeds as you are. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the treatment Dave! A positive attitude is half the battle. I follow your comments on Chiot's Run so feel like I know you :) too bad it's been a hard year in the garden...but you have kept busy with projects. Let us know how the procedure goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sevenoverb, thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. Susy, is the best at blogging, isn't she. Chiots Run is on my short list to read every day. I'll be sure let all know how things went with killing the cancer. My experience is that gardening has good years and bad years and then there's ugly years like this one. Oh, well, I'm working on getting things cleaned up and built.

      Have a great Canadian day.

      Delete
  5. Free rocks are great. That's a lot of loads.
    All that rain made everything grow for you. Easy to get overrun. Good for the turkeys helping you out!
    Looks like a fun event on your new property. Have fun planning the flowers.
    All the best to you with your procedure. Take care and don't over do it getting back in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should be well on your way with recovery from your doctors gardening efforts by now. LOL We all hope his seeds are very successfull. Take it easy for a few days more so you do not over stress. I wish you the very best and let us know when you get the good news we are all looking for.

    ReplyDelete