Friday, January 10, 2014

Starting out the New Year 
Most you already know that I was in the hospital for appendicitis.

Here's the whole story if your interested. If not just hit the back arrow and move on.  :-) New Year's day was when it all came down. Bradley and I had brunch at a friend's house and watched the bowl game which Nebraska naturally won .... by the skin of their teeth. After that sledding down the school yard hill was in order because the first measurable snow of the year fell on New Year's Eve during the night. Hot chocolate afterward and life was good starting the new year.

About 9pm the pains started. It felt like a really bad belly ache that just kept getting worse. About 2:30am, I told my daughter that I was going to the ER and just go back to sleep, I didn't want to drag Bradley out in the cold in the middle of the night. I pulled up and parked the truck in the ramp garage and ambled across the circle drive only to find out the ER had been moved to the other side of the building with no open entry point where I was. The nausea started as I made my way back to the truck and while driving over to the open ER door, I lost the brunch. Luckily I heaved the truck door open just in time. Upon making it to the correct place and explaining my problem, a decision was made to have a CT scan. In the mean time a shot for nausea and two doses of morphine really put me in my happy place and it was nice. I could see the concern on the doctor's face when she returned with the CT scan results. I said, "It ain't the flu, is it." "Nope, she said, you have a blocked and inflamed appendix." I replied, "Well, get it out of there, will ya." So by Noon, I was waking up from my other happy place and feeling no pain. Clear food diet for the rest of the day made for one hungry guy by the next morning. Eating restrictions were lifted and breakfast was ordered up. The doctor came and gave the OK to go home. It totally amazes me how it takes three hours to get all the paper work done after the doctor says a person can go. It should be a done deal right there when he says it, don't you think. Anyway by noon on Jan 3rd, a call was made to my daughter to come pick me up. They won't let you out of hospital unless your ride is there. Once my daughter came and walked me out, I told her to take to my truck, Ricky and I were going home. Knowing not to argue with a tough old geezer like me, she complied. Now understand, I really do know my limits and if there was any doubt that I was pushing passed them, I wouldn't have driven home. So I put in two days of pure torture trying to comply with not doing any thing. How long can I go on this way. I broke out on Monday for just a little while. Doctor says two weeks of no heavy lifting. Nothing over 10 pounds. I'm going to totally lose my six pack by then.
 
The up side is that all the holiday fun was over and the garden season hadn't started yet.  It was perfect timing.  I'm sure I'll get the OK from the doctor this next week to go back into the normal project mode.  Time's wasting.  It's only 62 days until spring.

Have a great New Year and for goodness sake stay healthy.
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are alright Dave! Hope there's a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! So glad you're on the mend. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smoke! Glad you were able to catch this and get it taken care of. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Glad you're on the mend. God bless!

    ReplyDelete