Hot Days of Summer
August is going out with a blast of extremely hot humid days with no rain in site. Apparently it's just what the tomatoes needed. They are starting to ripen by the basket full. Unfortunately everyone else has ripening tomatoes as well so there's no prospect of giving away any big quantity. The dilemma is what to do with the glut of tomatoes starting to come into harvest.
Here's one day's harvest with another harvest day coming right behind it in a couple days. I've been waiting for this day all summer now that it's here the fun begins. I'm going to preserve all of the tomatoes that can't be given away. So far I've only had one taker for tomatoes.
Here's the beginning of four quarts of tomato soup. Nice juicy tomatoes are destined to be great tasting soup. Onions and celery were sautéed and mixed in with the simmering tomatoes. When the mixture was all soft the soup was run through the Nutri-bullet (a TV super powerful blender) which made it into creamy soup. A little flour to thicken the soup and into the jars to be canned it went.
The finished product from allot of work. It doesn't look like much but the taste that I got from the little bit left over was outstanding and made it all worth while. Now the instructions say to add an equal amount of either milk or beef broth when preparing the soup to eat. It is very thick almost like tomato paste so thinning it down before serving it up is a good idea. It's great because four quarts actually makes 2 gallons of soup to eat. Nice!!
If you are looking at the picture and adding up the jars you will notice that it's one pint short of four quarts. One jar broke in the canning process but didn't hinder the other jars from sealing in the contents just fine.
So what's next? I have a couple requests for tomato jelly. I've been looking for a recipe for tomato jelly and all that I've found uses tomatoes and jello. Yeah, you're thinking what I'm thinking aren't you. I finally found a recipe for tomato marmalade that's looks good and it doesn't use jell0. I'll give it a try in a couple days with the next batch of tomatoes.
A couple posts ago I wrote about finding the mother load of old fence panels. I hauled enough to fence in the entire Terra Nova Garden North. Here you can see that I've finished up the north side of the garden area. Now the posts need to be concreted to hold them steady and 60 feet of fence in the back with 30 feet on the south will finish fencing in the whole area. Four feet high chicken wire will be stapled to the backside of the fence to cover up the cracks in the fence. If that don't keep out the critters then I'll be looking into a battery powered electric fence. Slowly but surely it's becoming a working garden. Maybe next year I can get serious about gardening instead of critter control.
The water tank is still curing but it will get flipped over soon. The inside will be sprayed with the TV advertised Flex-seal. Hopefully, that will give the tank a good seal for next year's water supply.
I hope all is well with everyone. Be safe where ever you are and we will meet here again real soon.