Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fall is in the air  
Summer is definitely over and fall has arrived.  Colder temperatures have caused the garden to come to a screeching halt.  A tomato snagged here and there is a great treat now but I suspect that will be ending soon.  I have removed the plants from Terra Nova Garden and cleaned up most of the garden in preparation of the great mulch capper to begin.  As you recall from last year, I netted close to 600 bags of leaf/grass yard waste mixture for garden mulch.  I hope to beat the count for this year.  It worked great last year and the weed problem was practically nil.
Autumn is a time of year when soup warms the kitchen and the tummy;  hot chocolate becomes the drink of choice over lemonade; and baking infuses wonderful smells through out the house.  The fall leaf pile jumping competition entertains all the kids in the neighborhood.  It's a wonderful time of the year when eggnog once again can be found on the store shelves and thoughts continually wander toward winter comfort foods.
My favorite spot to enjoy fall is on the poor man's living patio with Folger's in my cup.  This is the last dying breath of beauty for the patio.  Soon the plants will be in the compost and once again winter's slumber will be upon us.  Summer has passed by way too fast this year.  I feel a little like the cold wet Spring robbed me of a portion of my favorite season.
The fence repair continues.  Most of the fence has been repaired except for a few missing slats and some rubble cleanup.  It has been a challenging task for sure.  This area will look allot better when I get it mulched.  I'm still hoping to get the fence completed before the ground gets too hard to dig post holes. Some how this month just slipped away very quickly.
Wonderful presents like this just show up on the patio from time to time.  All the flowers you see on the wall in the back ground were donated from some one I helped move.  One can never have too many plant supports or potted flowers.

 
Wishing all a wonderful fall season.



7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your lovely words and photos, Dave! Spring and summer went by way too quickly for me, too. It's too bad the person who drove into your fence didn't help repair it. Have fun getting all that mulch put down!

    Oh, and thanks for the nice comment you left on my Wildflower Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David
    The patio area looks so nice. What a great place to have that morning cup of coffee. And the flowers on the trellis really add to it.
    This summer did go fast! I'm looking forward to getting home and getting the soup pot back out onto it's spot on the stovetop and getting busy baking again. That's one of the best parts about living in an area with distinct seasons--always something different to look forward to.
    Good luck on finding all the mulch you want. It's so good for the soil and worms!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the living patio, it looks great, I agree it looks like the perfect spot to sit and enjoy the morning cup of joe. Of course here in AZ I'm glad to see the heat go and welcome the reasonable temperatures of fall. It's only in the 80s during the day here now, which makes it really nice for gardening. It's getting in the 50s at night so the air conditioner stops running. I appreciate the smaller electric bills. I'm sure I'll be excited for spring when it comes in a few short months, but for now, I'm looking forward to WINTER! Or at least the AZ version of it, which is nothing like the Nebraska version. Have a great Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I have to enjoy the warm days to the fullest when I can. Snow has fallen all around us here but as of yet none for us. Not that I want to rush that part of Winter. December and January are good months for snow. I don't usually put on the snow tires until after Thanksgiving. I had a friend that moved to Arizona a couple decades ago that was a gardener. His expert Nebraskan garden techniques didn't work so well in the hot summer weather. It took a few years before he had made the transition to desert gardening.

      Have a great Arizona day in the garden.

      Delete
  4. David, Your living patio is very enticing. I can just imagine myself sitting there with a big cup of basil-spearmint tea and knitting myself a pair of finger-less mittens.
    Enjoy!
    Lemongrass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemongrass, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Hmmmm, basil-spearmint tea and knitting. I'm usually contemplating about gardening or the next project on the list. Some times it just great to listen to nature's sounds mixed with laughter of children at play. Squirrels are the rascals of the neighborhood but they are fun to watch. I suspect we humans could take some lessons about how to live life from them, don't you think. They never take anything seriously and live life to the fullest i n the moment their in.

      Have a great fall day.

      Delete
  5. I love your patio garden! It looks like a *great* place for coffee!

    ReplyDelete