Monday, June 3, 2013

Will someone stop the rain for awhile  
 The conversations of the season always seems to start with weather.  It's no different here at Urban Ranch (where I live).  The weather's just been screwy this year.  Never have I seen a year where heating is needed in the morning and then air conditioning is needed in the afternoon.  The month of May brought 17 days of rain to my area.  It's real difficult to find a dry soil day to do any gardening.  I have gotten a few things planted but still have much to plant.  This week rain is predicted four out the five week days.  It's not flash flood type rains but just enough to keep the ground muddy.  I haven't been able to get out to Terra Nova Gardens much at all this year.
Here you see the artist (pun intended) at work.  I've found that the best way to keep the lettering consistent on my fence panels is to make stencil patterns.  This is the last letter (N) of the word Garden.  Now all that needs to be done is to lay out the letters and trace them on the panel.  This will be the last panel with lettering.  The next panel will only have flowers along the bottom of the panel and a sun up in the corner.  One of my penpals suggested that I put a couple butter flies on this last panel.  I thought that was a great idea and so I'm trying to figure out how to do that.
Here are the much anticipated Rugosa Rose bushes that are now planted at Terra Nova Gardens and hopefully will grow into a rose covered hedge by the road.  I say much anticipated because it took a couple years to get them.  I ordered a bit late last year and it was beyond the delivery date.  This year I ordered in February and sent a reminder note every month as to when they would be delivered.
 
When the package arrived, Bradley was very excited because his Granny sends him packages from time to time so he thought it was for him.  I explained that it was rose bushes and we commenced to open the box.  When I removed the bushes from the box, a look of bewilderment came across his face and he responded, "Grandpa, you bought a bunch of sticks?"  I could just see his mind thinking that he could have found me a bunch of sticks right there in the yard.  So much to teach.  So much to learn.
This determined guy was on Tough GRIT TV.  It was a contest between two fellas driving fence posts into the ground and stringing up fence.  If you really want to view the video you can go to ToughGrit.com .  The double arrows under the video screen will allow you to see more episodes.  If there's only a little "x" and no picture in the box, click on the box any way.  It will bring up the episode for that box.  Information on the right side of the video will tell you about the episode.  Look for episode 24 "Suits you to a T".  It's about the third one back from the current episode. We had some great fun that day even though it was cold and windy.
 
 
I picked up this croupy cough this spring and just can't seen to shake it.  The doctor says it's bronchitis and gave me some antibiotics and they helped a little but it's still not gone.  Between that and the rain it's been difficult to work on my long list of projects for this summer.
 
That's about it for this time.  Things are starting to ramp up so next time maybe I'll have more news about gardening and less news about the weather.  See ya then.

5 comments:

  1. Wow-you certainly have had a lot of rainy days. I don't know if that's a relief after last years drought or what?!
    We are still getting frosts, so planting is still delayed up here too. I planted corn and sunflowers yesterday, so hopefully the warm weather will come.
    Looking forward to seeing the completed fence project. Have a great week, David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been crazy here on the west end of here. First its HOT, then COLD, then rain, storms, hail. I just put my tomatoes and peppers in Monday night for pete's sake. I just do not know what kind of year it will be Dave. And I'm in the new house, new garden, new soil, just a lot of new and fear of the unknown.
    I have been thinking that I will place some greenhouse plastic around my tomatoes for a little while to help them along. We have been so stink'in busy trying to get the old trailer ready and painted and moving, I just have not blogged much and have been so tired.
    We will just have to hope for the best. Keep all of us posted as to how it is going. Your lettering looks great. When I was doing graphic design, I used a lot of templates, much easier and better results. Its not cheating, its a sanity saver. LOL. Keep us posted on the fence.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there video star!!! I enjoyed your appearance in Tough Grit. They should have given you more lines to say! Looked like work and fun. Nice prize.

    I hope you get to feeling better and the rain gives you a break. Right now, I'm happy for rain but not getting as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got a laugh from your grandson's response to your "bunch of sticks". Those little minds.
    Make youself some mild thyme tea, add a bit of homegrown honey and a few drops of lime or lemon juice. Drink warm when the feelings hit you, and before you go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, thanks for the recipe. I've been looking for a more natural way to combat this dreaded croup. It's just about gone but I don't want it to be just about gone and then come back with a vengeance.

    I appreciate you dropping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete