Sunday, April 21, 2013

Desperate for Spring

Desperate for Spring 
It has been entirely too cold and long this spring.  My patience is wearing thin but I know that nature can not be rushed.  My garden seeds lay quietly dormant awaiting for the right time to plant.  The soil is too wet and too cold for hardly any kind of planting.  Only the seeds under the grow light continue to get stronger and bigger.
 
In my desperation, a walk through the garden discovered two big healthy dandelion plants growing in one of my raised beds.  Out of desperation I just couldn't help myself .... I ate them.  I may just have to re visit those plants and harvest another bitter salad to keep my cabin fever in check.  In my humble opinion, a person could live on dandelion greens but they aren't all that tasty.  Hopefully, the need for gardening will be fulfilled by actually gardening soon or who knows what will become table salad next.
 

Visits have been made to Terra Nova Garden to see how the land survived the Winter.  It appears that my 697 bags of yard waste is working wonderfully well.  Only a few of the hardiest weeds have made the attempt to grow up through the now three to four inch solid mulch.  A quick jab at the roots with a shovel and those proud weeds became compost fodder.

I met another colorful character of the neighborhood at Terra Nova Gardens.  His name was Chad.  He stopped to talk about how he had grown hot peppers for over 20 years.  He proceeded to tell me that he had developed a pepper that had four times the heat of a regular hot pepper and got special privileges to make hot sauce for all the prisoners.  Yeah, prisoners caught my attention.  I just let him continue to talk and he explained that back in 1956 he was a Hell's Angel and got sent to prison for murder.  His sentence ended up being several 20 year terms which normally would mean life in prison but the judge allowed him to serve them at the same time.  Hell's Angel Chad ended up serving 36 years in prison because of .... well some altercations along the way.  He ended his five year parole just last year. 

Bobcat Larry continues to stop by almost every time I'm at the garden.  For those that don't know him, he has been very helpful from the very beginning with the clearing of the land and digging out the spring. 

I don't think I've ever told you about shotgun Annie either.  There's an old lady .... well she looks old but I really don't know just how old she is.  She drives an old junk car; has the sweetest missing teeth smile; has shoulder length scraggly hair; and loves to talk about her garden.  She stops by every so often to tell of her neighborhood adventures.  She lives in probably the roughest part of town where angels fear to go.  Yeah, that's about five blocks away from Terra Nova Gardens.  One day we got into a discussion about her bad neighborhood and she said that she always has a loaded shotgun on the kitchen table and made it very clear that if anyone tries to get through the door they would be meetin' up with a load of buck shot.  Her house pet is a mean junk yard dog that will kill anything that moves on her property.

Least you think that the neighborhood is filled with scary people, I will tell you that there are many more quite ordinary people that live there.  It's a very interesting mix of folks and I love talking with them about as much as I love gardening there.  It appears that most of them just want some one to listen to them tell their life story.  If they can't stop and talk which is not very often, they will most definitely honk and wave while driving past the garden.  In one year the crazy old geezer with the garden has become a part of the community.
 
I hope all is well in your home.  Have a great day and I'll telling you more about the dull life of old Dave.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I have not resorted to eating the dandelions. I see them though. Why are they blooming when winter is keeping so much else down?
    You certainly are getting to know the people in the Terra Nova Gardens neighborhood. That is good. They will keep an eye on it for you.
    I'm sure they find you interesting as well.
    Stay warm and hang in there. Spring will get here eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave after a day of 80's, storms came through and a couple of mornings later we had a hard frost. Unheard of after April 10th.

    Have to plant my corn again. After 1.7 inches of rain, the crust was too hard and nothing is coming up. I think I'll get some fresh seeds before replanting also. I think I bought those 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Dave! I too, live in Omaha and I agree about Spring taking her sweet time getting here. Every time it rains I remind myself how much we need it. But snow last Thursday.. really snow?!? So different from last year when we had temps in the 80's-90's the beginning of May.

    I planted sugar snap peas about two weeks ago when it was warm for a bit then the temps took a dive. Too wet, too cold or the birds got them, it's hard to say but nothing has appeared. I bought another pack of pea seeds to try again.

    Best of gardening luck

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had endless snows all month. I'm tired of the grey and cold. In a normal year, I'd have the garden cleaned up and ready to plant in early June. I have only had one morning out in the garden--and I was bundled up in my snowmobile coat. BUT--I'll take this over last year when my fruit trees broke dormancy during our TOO warm March and then got zapped when "normal" cold of April returned.
    Hubby and I went to Indiana last week just to look at garden center plants. I really need to see some green!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you back bloging. I know it is hard there now. I really hate the cold so I stayed in this entire weekend even though it would have been quite warm compaired to your weather. The wind was up and my energy level went down. But no frost, just cool and windy. I will start hardening my tomatoes tomorrow. I have put out two big ones from the big box store just to cheet and get a jump on the other local gardners. I like to have at least one tomato ripe by July 4th. I dont think they will grow much until we get truly spring weather. I will bet my tomatoes will produce as soon as the ones i put out early. Hope Mother nature is kind to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang it. Our spring is finished & we're working on summer now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we are all desperate about spring. It is the best time of the year for us. I hope it would be a little too long.

    ReplyDelete