Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fence building from Pallets
It's getting real close of Christmas.  My Christmas cards are all finished and mailed except for the hand delivered ones.  I think I've mailed out about 80 this year.  Three returned and had to be readdressed due to moving and sent out again.  It's why I try to get them mailed early so I can deal with the invariably returned cards.  Three birthdays around Christmas will generate the need for sending out some cards and the month will be over.  As for gifts, my logic over rides the creative and gift cards rule.  It's just too difficult for me to try to figure out what would be a great gift for the person I'm buying for.  So my line after Christmas becomes, "Hi, what did I get you for Christmas?"  You know it's exactly what they wanted.  Nice!
 
I've discovered a new source of free garden material.  This load of pallets came from a post on Craig's list free.  I hauled a couple more loads for the free wood.  What, you might want to know will they be used for.
 
 
 Why fencing panels of course.  I found a place called Green Acres Recycling that sets pallets on the curb quite regularly.  I want to build about 90 feet of fencing to surround a portion of Terra Nova Gardens in an attempt to keep the critters away from the garden.  Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that raccoons can climb wooden fences.  I might have to string up a battery operated electric fence to give them a little surprise if they feel the need to scale the wall. 
 
The wild turkeys are going to have a surprise as well if they decide as last year to scratch the corn seed out of the ground.  I'm planning on having four foot wide rows inside the fence with chicken wire laying flat on top of the rows anchored down with ground staples.  Four rows of corn will be planted through the grid of the chicken wire.  That should keep the ariel assault team from scratching out the seeds.  Another thing that may have to be tried is motion lights that are made to look like glowing eyes in the dark. 
 
I really wanted to have the scare crow family up this year but it just didn't happen.  Not that it would scare anything but it would just add to the character of the property.
 
I have my MSN calendar reminder set to sent out an alert when it's time to order my Rosa Rose bushes that I ordered too late in the season last year.  I should be reminded to get my order sent about the first of February.  The rose bushes are a very hardy Northeastern Maine variety that grows well even in the salty air of the coast.  They grow about six feet tall and five feet wide.   They are filled with flowers all year and are quite thorny.  I want to plant them right behind the wooden rail fence and close enough to become a hedge.  It's not so much to block the view but just to beautify the street view a little more.  I believe on HGTV they call it curb appeal. 
 
Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas from my house to yours.
 
 
 
 

 
 

5 comments:

  1. You are ready for Christmas!
    Great ideas for keeping the critters at bay. You are so resourceful.
    Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful, peaceful and idea-inspired Christmas holiday.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you too, Dave. Looking forward to hearing from you in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana, thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. I'm sure there will be plenty to blog about in the new year. It's still very cold here but I'm counting down the days until spring arrives. We are having a normal winter here (cold) so I'm working on inside projects that I didn't get to work on last year.

    I hope that you are having a great new year. It's always good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say I love your header photo. I hope all of your critter proofing efforts work. It's always nice to get free or cheap materials.

    ReplyDelete