Sunday, October 14, 2012

I'm in a bunch of Tough Grit
Some of you may know that I have a blog on a National Magazine website.  This magazine is called "GRIT".  It's a magazine that talks about all aspects of gardening, harvesting, preserving, raising animals and every thing in general about living on the land as a homestead.  Way back in May they had a sign up for a new thing that they wanted to do this year.  It was called "Tough Grit".  It was a TV show slated to air on the RFDTV channel.  It would be about how to do things that would be done in a homestead environment.  I threw my name in the mix and quite frankly forgot all about it.  Through an amazing quirk of fate a cancellation for one of the episodes happened just a couple weeks before the filming date.  A message from the GRIT headquarters office came on a Monday during the day.  I didn't catch the call and a message was left on the voice mail of my phone.  Was I ever shocked when I found that they were looking for a contestant for the show.  Imagine me on TV.  So I packed my bag and left for Topeka Thursday morning on October 11 with that old tune of "Act Naturally" running through my head.  For those too young to remember Buck Owens or the Beatles it went something like this.
 
They're gonna put me in the movies
They're gonna make a big star out of me
We'll make a film about a man that's sad and lonely
And all I gotta do is act naturally

Well, I'll bet you I'm gonna be a big star
Might win an Oscar, you can never tell
The movies gonna make me a big star
'Cause I can play the part so well
 
Now I would change the line that said sad and lonely to wild and gritty.  Get it.  GRIT magazine.  Wild and Gritty.  Yeah, I knew you did.
 
Friday, the filming day, was spent at the farm and the competition between two teams to see how fast we could build fences began.  The first round was to pound 15 steel posts (T-posts) in the ground using a manual driver for the first five and a pneumatic driver for the rest.  The second round was the actual stringing of the barbed wire fence.  Five strands strung, stretched, and attached to the post.  This was a very physical day and my friends Alieve and Advil were welcome friends at the end of the day.  Oh, yeah, the episode will air on May 13th.  I know a long time down the road.  I'll have to send out a post to remind anyone who wants to see old  Dave drive himself to exhaustion pounding posts into the ground and play with barbed wire.  Yeah it's pretty funny.
 
Having some extra time on Thursday afternoon, I decided to take a tour of the Kansas state Capitol building.  It was just a stone's throw from the hotel where I was staying.  I didn't think to bring my camera and the secretary was kind enough to take a picture of me with a camera she uses for those forgetful folks like me.  It's not the best picture but I'm actually sitting at the desk of governor Sam Brownback.  Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how much time he spends here but it makes for a great picture.  The gal by my side was the tour guide.  The building was going through a major renovation so I didn't get to climb the 297 steps up to the top of the dome.  Whew, I'm glad for that.  It still was a great tour.
 
I made it back home in time to wake up on Saturday and help with the last minute preparations for Bradley's birthday party.  Fourteen boys with a few girls hit the house at 1:00pm and for the next two hours the yard was crawling with kids.  Cake, soda, candy fr0m the pinata were all consumed.  Yeah, we sugared them up and sent them home.
 
Wow, maybe this next week will settle down and get back to normal. .... Nah, what would be the point in that.
 
Have a great week.
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on your stint on tv! Just don't forget us "little folks" when you're famous-hahaha!

    I bet all the parents just loved you for hyping the kids on sugar. I do that to my grandson when he visits. It's payback to my son for his teenage years-LOL. Ah, it's the little things that make life fun.
    Have a great week, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Dave, Well done on Grit. Shall we call you Gov Dave? Did you feel the "power".
    Shame on you (LOL) for sugaring up kids and sending them home to tear up their houses,and drive parents nuts, at least hopefully not yours!
    Light-hearted post, Dave, its needed.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that Bakersfield's very own Buck gave you inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to get on the show. This last minute plan was to keep you for thinking about it too much and backing out on them. Ha!
    Let us know when the show airs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, what a fun post, thank you for sharing it. Do you think your TV show will air on the internet or something? I won't be able to watch you otherwise cos I live in England. Would love to see you and be able to say "I read his blog!!!!"

    PS I'm STILL picking tomatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana, yes there is a Website to watch the episodes on the Internet. However, they are not available to watch until they have been aired on TV. The episode I am in will be aired on May 13. It's a long time away but I'll remind everyone and post a link when it becomes available. Well, that is if it's not too embarrassing.

    Thanks for taking the time from your schedule to leave a message. Have a great day in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete