Saturday, May 5, 2012

Planting begins
I have been pushing the limit trying to get the garden beds ready to plant.  Terra Nova Gardens has been partially planted.  The tomatoes and bell peppers were planted today.  Inside the fence has been completed except for pathway wood chips.  All the garden beds have been mulched with straw to keep the moisture in and the weeds out.  Next week the cucumbers, zucchini, and sweet corn will be planted. 
Fenced Garden with mulch


Here's the look of the first year fenced garden beds.  In this picture the mulching is not quite done but now it's finished.  The two beds in the middle of the picture are the tomatoes and the bell peppers.  The left is the tomatoes and the right is the bell peppers.  Along the right hand fence will be the cucumbers for this year.  Along the front fence will be zucchini on the right side and I'm not sure on the left.  Up the unmulched left side will be the peaches and cream sweet corn.  Out side the fence will be the cheap yellow sweet corn.  That's mainly for the wild turkeys.  Maybe they won't try to raid the fenced in garden if I give them plenty to eat.  It could back fire and attract every corn loving critter in the neighborhood.  This gardening adventure is a total experiment this year.

My neighbor across the street from where I live has taken an interest in my inner city garden project and asked if he could plant some things.  I've designated a 30'x30' area to the left of the picture above for him.  He has watermelon and pumpkins planted and wants to plant some potatoes.  He heard that planting inside old tires works good for potatoes.  I spent the day scouring the hillside behind my property for old tires that have been dumped over the side of the hill.  I found a total of nine tires for him to use.  There could be more but the head high weeds prevented me from getting a good look at anything other than the bottom third of the hill.

I always wanted to see if I could actually grow the three sisters.  This is combination planting.  A row of mounds that are five feet apart are planted with corn.  After the corn reaches four inches in height, pole beans are planted in the same mound.  Mounds half way between the corn/bean mounds are planted with squash of choice.  Mine will probably be acorn.  The plan, if it works, is for the corn to grow tall, the beans to climb the corn, and the squash to cover the ground and keep the weeds from growing.  Heaven knows I need that to happen.  From what I've read the squash will also prevent the corn loving critters to eat the corn as they don't like feel of squash leaves on their feet.  I'm not sure turkeys have much feeling in their feet.  That's why only one third of the open garden area will be the experimental three sisters.  The rows of mounds are five feet apart.  All in all it should be a great experiment.

I hope to have a video for you in the next post.

Have a great day planting in the garden.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Dave, you have been busy. I'm sure we'll all be very interested to see how the experiments work. I don't have room for a three sisters arrangement but it sounds like it SHOULD work :-)

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ana for your comment. It will be interesting to see if what I've read actually works.

    Have a great day in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, Dave. You are way ahead of me.
    Its a good thing I did not plant yesterday, which is what I was going to do, as we had hail here last night, some as big as a golf ball and ranging to pea sized, so I am thankful I did not do it. It is supposed to be cool here for a few days and then warm up, so it may be this weekend coming up to plant.
    All gardening is an experiment, Dave. I have gardened for years and still have success and failure. You never know what the year will be.
    Enjoy your little urban paradise and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terra Nova is really coming together. I hope the corn diversion works for the turkeys.
    I have heard about planting potatoes in tires and you add a tire or two as the plant grows putting in more dirt so it makes more potatoes. Too funny that you have a tire supply right there. Oh the treasures still waiting for you on the property!
    I've read about the three sisters but never tried it. Good luck. I can't imagine turkeys feel much in their feet either but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good, Dave. I have tried the 3 sisters. Keeping in mind that I have poor soil and very dry, windy climate, and probably don't water often enough, I will tell you that for me, the corn grows fine, the beans peter out before producing, and the squash takes off after I've been fighting weeds for weeks. Hope yours does what it's supposed to!;)

    ReplyDelete