Saturday, April 21, 2012

Busy Time at the Gardens
The gardens in my backyard are known as the Urban Ranch gardens and the gardens at the new property, as you know, are known as Terra Nova Gardens.  The Urban Ranch gardens were planted with lettuce, radishes, and mesclun.  Only a few scattered radishes came up.  I'm not sure what happened there but they will have to be replanted.  The seed starting station worked so well that the tomatoes sprouted up to the plastic cover and curled over before I even knew they had sprouted.  They were so spindly and leggy that I replanted them.  The bell peppers did good and look great.  So now the half of the 72 plant seed plug starter with the newly planted tomatoes has a heat mat under it at night.  During the day when the temperature is 60 degrees or better they go outside for the day.  I think that's better than being under a grow lamp.  Those replanted seeds are already popping up after only four days.  Wow, that's quick.  They didn't even have the plastic cover on them.
Garden Gate Day Lilies

Here's my patch of day lilies at Terra Nova Gardens.  Yeah, right in the middle of the gate.  I've decided that I'm not so much in love with the common variety of day lilies any more.  They are much more difficult to transplant than I first thought.

Day lilies all gone
Yes, I pulled them all out.  If I really want to plant day lilies around the outside of the fence which was the original plan there are many big patches of day lilies to transplant.  There is no lack of that resource on the property.
Path ready for wood chips
You might be wondering just why I would dig a trench in the middle of the garden.  Some years ago I read an article about making raised beds.  The article stated that since you would have paths that would be only for walking, why not skim off the top four inches of top soil and put it on the raised beds.  It would raise the bed another four inches with good top soil.  My plan is to find a tree service in town that would be willing to donate a load or two of wood chips to fill up the trenches and cover my parking area.  I know that wood will leach nitrogen from the soil but hopefully the bed is raised up enough to not be affected by the wood chips in the trench.  I hope to get all that accomplished next week.  Then I can get back to finishing the fence.  Lots of work.  Not much time.

Have a great spring time day in the garden.


2 comments:

  1. Hello. Glad you're getting those veggies going. Your little planting station must be really good with all that sprouted. I had some radishes that just didn't appear this year too. Already replanted.
    Looks like you got all the daylilies removed. I have read about the raised bed/lower path idea for gardening. I think it would work. We use a lot of newly chipped wood in our garden from the free city mulch site. Once you get "old" wood chips at the base, the new ones don't seem to bother the plants much when they start to decompose. I have put down blood meal with the chips to try and off set the nitrogen decrease around some plants. We use the wood chips for our paths too which is great. So much to do in the garden these days but it is so nice to see stuff growing again. Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good Dave! It's definitely that time of year when there isn't enough time in the day for a gardener!!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete