Sunday, December 18, 2011

Terra Nova Gardens are now Mine
Good news. Terra Nova Gardens are now mine.  My imagination is running wild and dreams are way bigger than I could possibly accomplish any where other than in my mind.  Garden planning has filled up my spare time.  Yeah, like who has any spare time. 

I really thought that the closing procedure would have signing involved but it didn't.  I just handed over the final payment and they gave me a receipt and we were done.  It was quite uneventful and was nothing like closing for a house.

After paying the payment, now .... in three to four weeks the deed will arrive in the mail. (Big sigh)  It's a good thing that I'm a patient man.  I just had to visit Terra Nova Gardens after knowing that the property is really mine.  I sat on the section of tree that has been down for years and dreamed about how it would look in a couple years.  This section of tree will have to be chainsawed up and removed as it's right in the middle of the garden area.





It's difficult to know where to start.  I expect the cleanup will take a few days before I can stake out the beds.  Because of evidence of den type critters I feel the need for a fence.  The flowers around the outside of the fence will be a first line of defence.  My plan is to eventually have a fence that is 64 inches high with an additional six inches sort of under the ground.  My thought is not bury the chicken wire fence straight down in the ground but to flare it out semi horizontal under the flowers.  That way if digging critters do get through the flowers their claws will catch on the wire when they try to dig.  I'm thinking that it will discourage their digging.  What do you think?


This is the total plan for the first 60 feet of Terra Nova Gardens.  It's the clearest in that it doesn't have many trees.  It just has weeds, vines, and brush.  This is a three year plan if I don't have too many distractions.  It will put 35 beds into production.



This is a great picture to show height of the bank in the back of the property.  The first 60 feet straight back toward the bank is fairly level.  If you click on the picture to get the full size, it gives a getter look at the bank.  This bank is on the west side of the property and will be a great asset to keep high wind bad weather from damaging the garden.

This will most likely be the last post about Terra Nova Gardens until Spring.  Now the focus will be on inside projects that are down in the deep dark food storage area of the basement.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the closing--despite how uneventful it was. As much as you've been looking forward to getting it, there should have been some bells and whistles, don't you think?
    :)
    Good luck with it and enjoy the planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! What a wonderful Holiday gift. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find! Congrats, and your plans look well thought out. Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Dave! I bet you will be planning and re-planning Terra Nova Gardens all winter!

    Have a Great Holiday!

    ReplyDelete