Monday, September 26, 2011

Returning to the Garden
Before leaving on the fishing trip I scoured the city to find seeds for a fall garden.  One lesson learned from that experience is to buy the seeds in the spring because there are no seeds for fall gardens.  So finally I found one lonely seed rack at the local nursery with very limited seeds.  I purchased the last lettuce, carrot, and broccoli seed packs on the rack.  Carefully, I set out to plant the seeds as indicated on the packages.  I lightly watered them for the next couple days and then left to head out to fish in Northern Nevada.

Upon my return, much to my surprise this is what the planted lettuce looked like.  It really looks like a patch of weeds to me.  It was the ugliest lettuce I've ever seen.  I dug out the seed pack to see exactly what in the world I had planted in my garden.  Here's what it said.  Q's Special Medley chosen by Chef John Platt and exhibits flavors, textures and colors as varied as the acclaimed cuisine of Q's restaurant in the historic Boulderado Hotel.  Imagine that?  I had planted acclaimed cuisine of Q's restaurant. .... It still looks like weeks to me.  I guess that I'll let the mess grow a little more and maybe even sample some of the foliage to see what Chef John Platt is serving to his customers in the historic Boulderado Hotel.  Sorry, it still looks like weeds to me.  How about you?


Next up is the broccoli.  Only three out of the eight planted germinated.  That's not a very good germination rate.  I hope the broccoli can endure some cold weather because in just a few short days the October 15th first freeze date will be arriving.  With temperatures in the middle to lower 40s at night it just might happen any day now.

The carrots were even worse.  Out of the 80 some planted, I could only find four plants growing.  I guess that I've got a lot to learn about fall gardening.  It's been a pretty pathetic experience this year.

The tomatoes are definitely on their last leg and will be ripped out before the week's end.  It was a strange year for tomatoes.  However, the green peppers sprang to life after the long hot month of July was over.  I'm harvesting bags full of green peppers from the eight plants that did nothing until the end of July.  Gardening this year was a trying experience that caused me to learn a lot about the patience of growing plants.

The bid on the foreclosed property has been excepted and now the notice has to be sent to property owner to pay up or else.  If he does not respond, then the waiting period will be 60 days before we can move into the final stage of clearing the deed and making the final payment to actually own the property.  Patience patience patience.  I just might own a piece of property for a Christmas present if all goes well.

Now that the bid has been excepted I may start to clear out some of the weeds and foliage to help with the spring preparation.  If I don't end up with the property, then it will just be a good deed for the property owner.  What do you think?

I still have a backyard project to finish up before the snow flies.  The patio with fire pit has quite a bit to get finished.  I still need a few more foundation blocks to set then the work will go a little faster.  A small retaining wall and the main patio blocks have to be put in place.  I better get started.  Well, right after another cup of coffee. 

Enjoy the fall weather as often as you can because winter is on the way.  Farmer's Almanac says for my area that the temperatures for winter will be normal but the winter will be wet.  I guess I better make sure the snow blower is ready to throw snow as one inch of wet equates to 12 inches of winter snow.  The grandson will like that.

Oh, yeah, it's just about time to make that fall soup and start baking bread.  Have a great day.

5 comments:

  1. Too funny about the lettuce. I planted something like that one year and wasn't sure what I could eat. What if an actual weed got in there. How would I know?
    My fall carrot planting hasn't been to productive either. And, yes, you need to get seeds in the spring locally or order them. Seems like no one stocks seeds past June here either.
    Enjoyed you fishing trip post as well. Beautiful lake.
    Congrats on the bid being accepted too!!! Just think of all that work, I mean potential. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet you got some mesclun french baby lettuces, Dave. They are similar to the baby lettuces in the grocery that are pricey, but better home grown.
    I grow my lettuces in blue 20 qt buckets, then cover them with greenhouse plastic when it starts getting a nip of frost in the air.
    Enjoy your fall garden.
    Denimflyz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give that fall garden a chance and you may end up with some veggies this fall or in the spring. You never know!

    Congrats on the property! I would go over there and do a little clearing this fall. If all goes well, it will save you some work in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardening was a trying experience for us this year, too. And if you really DO have a wet winter, share the joy, will ya!? We could really use it down here... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave,
    You funny guy, that's probably a salad mix, not a lettuce mix. I enlarged the photo, and think some of those are greens of some kind, maybe mustard. I'd eat them before they get big.

    I hope things work out for you to get the property you bid on. Do you have to get permission to do any yard work there?

    Thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog. I forgot to mention on my post that I also have 2 other blogs that I started after the garden one.

    ReplyDelete