Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bradley's Fort part 2

Well folks here is the fort almost fully built.  Now all that must be done is get it up on top the white elevated structure you see faintly in the back ground on the right side of this picture.  I've only tacked it together with a couple screws in each wall corner just to hold it together temporarily until I get the floor painted and strapped down to the elevated structure.

The tomatoes have not started turning yet but I suspect it won't be long before the urban ranch's kitchen counter will be filled with tomatoes on a daily basis.  What I don't give away I just can and use for soups later in the winter.  Yummm!!


The cucumbers have started to produce.  I suspect it will be a large harvest of cucumbers this year.  I've already started giving them away as fast as I can.  I want to make some dill pickles for Bradley but I think I better try just a few this year and see if he likes them before getting into full production.  I will try a few quarts to see how they turn out.  The cucumber on the right side of the counter is an English cucumber for sandwiches.  A friend of mine asked if I could grow a couple plants for her.  Well, I hope she likes them as they seem to be very productive.


You can see that the cucumbers are trying to take over the garden.  They have reached the top of the eight foot structure that I built for them to climb.  One vine has gone a courting to the pretty little bush next door.  It has crawled up the chain link fence and across the top rail of the fence and intwined with the bush on the right of this picture.  I'm not too sure about what the result will be but maybe a new type of bush cucumber is in the making.  What do you think?

Sorry I haven't been more frequent at blogging but the back yard calls and days of summer are quickly slipping away.

May all your gardens be watered with fresh rain water when needed.  May all your projects be finished before the summer ends.  May you all stay in good health all the days of summer.  If you can't stay cool then stay hydrated.

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering where you've been. Summer is a busy time! The fort is looking good-you're a good grampa.....he's going to enjoy that.

    Don't give all those cukes away-slice some up with some fresh tomatoes and onions and a good oil/vinegar dressing---heavenly!
    Stay cool. Our heat FINALLY broke a few days ago-I'm so behind in the weeding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bradley's fort is looking great! He is really going to love it!

    Your garden is looking very happy these days! Pretty soon you will be up to your ears in viggies!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a cucumber king. What amazing vines. Mine are just setting on but I do have tomatoes. Love your last paragraph. I wish all that for you too.

    ReplyDelete