Friday, April 22, 2011

Just When You Think Spring Has Sprung


When you least expect it and you think that Spring has settled in, the morning brings this. It was glorious and spectacular. I like these last wet sloppy Spring snows. They bring the last burst of wonderful nitrogen to kick start the growing season. It lasted only a day and by two days later it was gone with only sweet memories until next year.




I've been getting the main water supply tank ready for the automatic watering system for the garden beds. Last year when I built it as you remember there was a big hole in the side of this tank. After much work with covering the hole with metal and sealing it with silicone and a rubber patch on the inside, it worked well for the season but there was some leakage around the patch. This year I have once again covered the patch on the outside with silicone and then covered the entire patch and the bottom seam of the tank with outside wall water sealant. Rains have fallen since this work and so far all the leakage seems to have been eliminated.


I plan on taking a picture every week from this same angle to have a record of the progress in the garden this year. Here you can see the main tank is once again in it's final resting place. One of the secondary supply tanks is in place. The other one is being worked on as it wasn't used last year. Each secondary tank holds about 30 useable gallons of water and will supply two garden beds. At the far end which is a little hard to see, there are concrete blocks (what would I do without concrete blocks) to hold the final distribution tanks made from PCV pipe to water the actual plants. More about that at a later time.

It really isn't visible but the first bed is planted with onions, radishes, and lettuce. I'll have to cover that bed with some kind of netting soon or the cute little bunnies will decide it's lunch buffet time and strip the patch to the ground. Love those bunnies but sorry there is no free lunch at my garden.



I've been working on the trellis during the wet yard days. I've actually installed a low pressure drip system for the front yard trellis. The main line has been completed and you can see the black tube running across the top of the trellis. Last year I planted pole beans to climb the trellis and cover the structure with vines. This idea was a bust as beans love sun and this trellis is in full shade. This year my strategy has changed. I will plant shade plants in containers up and down both sides in containers and across the top. Hopefully with the drip watering system and the shade plants in place the look of the trellis will be a little better than the withering half dead anemic pole bean look of last year.

You can see that the tulips and daffodils are displaying their spring announcing blooms and the weather is slowly creeping up to normal temperatures.




Here is the beginning stage of the much anticipated round backyard patio with a firepit. It will take most of the summer and hopefully by September I and friends will be sitting around the fire toasting marshmallows over the fire on a cool summer evening. Well, that's the plan anyway but those that know me there's always tomorrow and there's always time to take a coffee break on the front poor man's patio.


Well, that's it for today. Keep your powder dry and your knives sharp and I'll be back again to let you know what's up on the Urban Ranch.

2 comments:

  1. Love that old tank you have. I've been looking for something similar to set in my "kitchen window" border to catch the runoff from the roof at the corner where two rooflines meet. When it rains, it comes down in torrents. The "idea" I have is to use it as a rain barrel plus a way to guide the overflow where I want it. With our HEAVY snows, you can't use gutters up here-it tears them right off the house and causes ice dams. Enough of my novel!!-- your place is looking great. Can't wait to see the firepit-it might be another idea I'll be "stealing"!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, you have been busy! Everything is looking good! I can't wait to see some green in your garden and that firepit is going to be great!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete