Sunday, November 14, 2010


Cleaning up the garden




Has it really been that long since I've made a blog entry. The month of October was a busy month. November has started out the same way. This post will be about the cleaning up of the wonderful garden that grew this year. Due to a couple of killing frosts the garden is definitely done for this year.


As you can see the garden is quite dead. I'm trying to hack down the tomatoes that produced abundently this year. I planted just plain old Rutgers. They performed wonderful well. I have no idea how many pounds of tomatoes I harvested but it kept neighbors, relatives, and friends supplied all summer with some left for me. It was quite a marvel to watch the harvest just keep on coming long after others had given up.



This last harvest of ripe tomatoes was on November 8th. This was a full two weeks after what should have been the first frost date. The first frost didn't come until November 10th this year. Even though the vines were shriveled and dried out ripe tomatoes hung on them. The vines were still loaded with green tomatoes.



The last of the harvest of green tomatoes, potatoes, and green peppers. There was a harvest of onions later as well. Over all this year was pest free, disease free, and varmint free. While others were plaqued with bugs, disease, and critters, my plants weren't bothered by any of these things.


You can see the load of green tomatoes still on the vines. I didn't really have time to do anything with them this year, but next year I will be prepared to use up the green harvest as well as the last of the ripe harvest. This day of putting the garden to bed was a perfect day with sunshine and warm weather.



There's nothing like a good cup of coffee after a day of garden cleanup. It just soothes the soul to sit and enjoy the sounds, smells, and wild life activity.

Have a great day

























2 comments:

  1. I must have gotten your bugs here in Kansas! It was one of the worst years for tomatoes that i have ever experienced!
    I did have a very good crop of fall green beans as we did not have a frost until November 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    I stumbled on your blog and started reading, and before I knew it I had read the whole thing, all the way back to your first post.

    I was fascinated with your watering system, and loved watching your garden grow through the improvements you made this year.

    Now that this season is just about over, I look forward to seeing what next year brings.

    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete