Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Beginning Winter Projects

When my wife Dottie died over nine years ago, entire rooms of the house were chock full of good stuff. You know the stuff that's just too good to throw away but you don't quite know when if ever you will use it but just know that if you throw it away that the very next week you will want to use it kind of stuff. Yeah, well as I plowed through the house room by room sorting through what to keep, what to throw and don't know piles, the don't know pile got scuttled away into the basement area. That area became the storage pit from hell. In fact my daughter Lydia will not go down there because in her words "It's just too scary." (Big Sigh) I suppose it's time to begin reclaiming the basement. I know it will be a multi year project but will be definitely worth the effort. Anyway the above picture is the area where I want to put my storage area. It will be a challange just to clean out the area. All the shelves need to come out.


Hopefully by spring this area will look quite different. The only light in this area is a ceiling light with a pull string to turn it on and off. My plan is to wire in another light in the storage area with a light switch that controls both the furnace room light and the storage room light. A wall will be built across the front of this open area with a doorway into the storage area. The two inside walls and the ceiling will be heavily insulated to keep the basement heat from entering into the storage area. drywall will cover up the walls and keep the insulation in place. It's a big project but what is there to do when the weather outside is frightful. Hopefully closing this area off and having two outside block walls will keep the area at a cool 45 to 50 degree temperature. Well, that's the plan anyway.

So stay tuned and see mishap adventures of Old Nebraska Dave as he attempts of build a basement storage area.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, I just had to chuckle at your photos, reminds me of our garage, which is in the middle of an extensive renovation. Before the renovation, it too was a very scary place. I can't even begin to tell you how yucky it was - it's already much improved and not scary any longer, but it IS still a mess. We're hoping to get some of it organized yet before winter, but the remainder of the outside reno will need to wait until spring now. :)

    Good luck on your big project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I just found your blog. I think that everyone has a place or two that gets a mess like this. My garage was a complete mess...I couldn't even get in it!! After a full two days of hard work, it looks wonderful!! Your basement will be cleaned up in no time. It will also be very good for you to do. I know, I have been there when I lost my daughter. Take care...and happy cleaning!!

    ReplyDelete