Monday, July 19, 2010

Cucumbers, Tomatoes, and Fallen Branches Oh My

A little storm blew through a couple days ago and left a little deposit on my driveway. This branch came from Old Sic the Sycamore tree. It was hanging out over my bedroom roof when it broke off. Some how it made it way down from it's high above loft to my driveway without touching the house, trellis, or any of the plants on the patio. That's a real miracle.




The garden is growing by leaps and bounds this year. I have potatoes on the right, cucumbers and tomatoes in the middle, and onions and bell peppers on the left. The cucumbers are beginning to produce and I expect an abundance of produce real soon. The bell peppers are growing in size and will soon be harvested.


As I said the cukes are coming in. This is the first of the harvest. I have harvested a total of 10 so far with much more on the way. When the neighbors get sick of cucumbers maybe I'll try my hand at making pickles. I bought a bag of pickling spice at Walmart but good Lord 7 cups of sugar seems like a lot to me. I think I might get a different recipe.

The tomatoes are just not turning yet. I have a great flurry of blooms and a few green tomatoes but haven't harvested any red tomatoes yet. I am waiting for that first bite into the red juicy globes. The summer heat won't seem so bad if I can have a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich or two .... or three.

Leave me a comment about how your garden grows. I am thrilled to hear about all gardening successes.




1 comment:

  1. WHOA, look at those cuc's!! Good growing!! And goodness your luck was good with that branch! I have a small recipe for dills and sweets -- let me know if you're interested. You can make as little as a pint at a time with my recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete