Monday, May 17, 2010

Things are starting to bloom around the urban ranch


Things are starting to bloom around the Urban Ranch. I planted tulip, daffodil, and crocus last fall and they certainly have not disappointed me. I'm not sure what the official name for these tulips are but I call them "Tulips of fire." They are absolutely the best tulips that I have ever had on the ranch.





My black beauty tulips came into bloom right after the tulips of fire started winding down. They are now just about finished but the Iris are starting to come into full bloom. I am in need of reblooming day lilies and have been in hot pursuit of tracking down some for over planting the tulips. I have discovered that day lily roots are referred to as fans and the best I could find was about one dollar a fan. That's just a little more expensive than I thought it would be.






The daffodils certainly were in competition with the tulips. I had a double row of about 60 or 70 of these guys. Their bloom cycle is winding down and I actually dead headed their little shriveled blooms today. They did put on quite the display for the neighborhood for a couple weeks. I want to interplant day lilies in this flower bed to keep the area alive as the daffodils die down in early summer.





Lila has really out done herself this year. As I have said in past posts she has spent her entire life under Old Rose the redbud tree. She has blossomed incredibly well this year with full sun. The aroma is heavenly coming from all those blooms. I guess that’s just the way nature is. The death of one thing is replaced by the rising up of another. It will be wonderful to see how she takes over the Spring beauty display in the absence of Old Rose.





The Iris have just come into bloom. I call these the sea of Iris. I have actually cut a few stems and brought them into the house for decoration. I never got to do that before because of allergies that Dottie, my wife, had. It's a different kind of experience.





Well there you have it. The blooming urban ranch is really out doing itself this year. It's the best year that I've had in many years. I'm thinking the best is yet to come. There will be many projects for the summer. I'm working on one now and will blog about in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment