Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gravity Feed Watering System Part 2


Finally after day three the entire first level base has been completed. This first level has to be perfect. I really was a bit nervous when the last block was put in place. The two sides came together with acceptable parameters. I think it might have been off 1/16 inch. That's pretty good considering my amateur ways of doing things.






The next level is just a matter of setting the blocks in place on top of the base level. There's not too much skill involved at all. All looks good so far.



Three levels of height from the anchor block should give me enough pressure to run the drip watering system. Things are really starting to look like this just might work.



Remember I told that the secret is to pack it down, pack it down, pack it down. The final layer of dirt is packed down in preparation for the final layer which will be sand. Even that gets packed down. Most likely next year the tank need to be removed from the base to level it up again. I figure when the 1200 gallon tank is full the weight will be close to five tons.



Sand is a little easier to work with than dirt. It can be leveled and packed to a much better level. The final screed is being completed and the base will be finished. Pretty retaining wall blocks will surround the base later to make it look much more pleasant to the eyes.



The end of the base project meets with my approval. This is after a week of rain and day four of the project. I like the way this is all coming together.



Here's the moment of truth. Let's just see how level is the tank on the base. Hot dog it doesn't get any better than that. I just love it when a plan comes together don't you?




Excellent!! This project will not only water my garden but be home for fish and a water feature. Maybe that will be next year. I just want to want my garden this year. I am even formulating plans for rain barrel water from the roof to gravity feed into this system. One step at a time.

Be sure to leave a comment about what you think of the gravity feed watering system. I think I'm going to sit on the poor man's patio with a nice hot cup of coffee and watch those gainfully employed come home. (grin)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished project!
    It seems you've put in a lot of hard work, but I think it is going to be pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete