Saturday, April 3, 2010

What's Old Dave been up to in the Garden

I've always been told that potatoes need to be in the ground by Good Friday. I didn't quite make it. How about Good Saturday before Easter Sunday? I was looking around for a good buy on Yukon Gold potatoes which are my favorite. Lowes had a bag of 6 little spuds for $3. Are you kidding? I had a meeting in Council Bluffs and decided afterward to take a trip to one of my favorite nurseries in C.B. to check out the spud situation. Oh be still my heart. Would you believe 45 cents a pound. For a little more than $6.00 I brought home 15 pounds of precious seed spuds. I soon realized that was way too much and probably could have gotten by with about 5 pounds. That's a lot of potatoes for a 4 foot by 8 foot patch of ground.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,
    Mashed, scalloped, french fried, you'll have lots of potatoes to eat!
    We plant our potatoes Memorial Weekend! Our garden stays too wet usually to plant before then -maybe this year will be a little drier and well get them in earlier.
    vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost the end of April and haven't gotten any spuds in yet. Going to try anyway.

    ReplyDelete