Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Saturday, October 10, 2009
The last round of timbers were attached after the uprights were in place and relatively vertical. The squaring up process came after the cross pieces were in place and before the bracing began. It all came together quite nicely.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
As you can see I've made concrete patio walk ways between the beds. I thought about just having grass then decided to use the patio blocks I've had setting around the place for some years. It just seemed like a good use for them.
I've started building the 8 foot support stucture on the middle bed. That's where the tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, and beans will go next Spring. In the right bed I want to grow potatoes because I do like and eat a lot of potatoes. In the left bed I want to put the salad stuff. As of now it will be lettuce, onions, chard, carrots, and maybe a couple peppers. At this point all this is just bouncing around in my head. I'll need to get serious about planning the beds when the holidays are over and the first seed catalog arrives. That's always a good indicator that it's time to start seriously planning the Spring time garden.
I struggled a bit with the drilling of the holes for the spikes that hold the land scaping timbers together. My old 40 year old drill just quit right in the middle of hole drilling. The cordless drill just didn't have enough grit to drill the half inch holes in the timbers. I'll either have to figure out what is the matter with the old drill or go buy a new one. I'm seriously leaning toward a new one. I think 40 yeas of service is a goodly amount for a drill. If the next one lasts that long it will become an inheritance for one of the kids.
Tomorrow is supposed to be another good day so hopefully I can get the rest done and settle down for a long winter's nap.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Here you can see my composting bins. As you can see the lawn debris fell into two catagories. On the left was the green back yard clippings without much leaf mulch. On the right was the front yard almost completely leaf mulch. Some review is needed before mixing the two together. I seem to remember there is a ratio of green to brown in a compost pile. I'll mix the two and pile it upon the garden beds for the winter. By Spring the mix should be quite composted and ready for growing veggies.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
This is the way to the backyard. Through the chain link fence gate which is typical for the 60s built house. Along the way you can see the very spent Iris that will become either compost or yard waste in the near future. It still needs a little tidying up which is for another day. Let's get through the gate and around the corner to see the site for the garden.
You can see the garden plot way off in the distance beside the bush on the left side. As you can see what's supposed to be the backyard patio has become the storeage place for the building materials for other yard projects. These materials have accumulated over the last couple years from projects for other people. I have a side yard that looks like a construction site but has just about enough materials to complete the side patio next year. I have no lack of project ideas to keep me busy for a long time. Now if I could just concintrate of my projects instead of helping with other people's projects. Oh well it's just in my nature to help others first and then if there's time do my own projects.
Finally we come to the project at hand. The mission as I have chosen to accept is to build three 4X8 foot garden beds. The one on the right has been designated a garden area for 20 some years, but has only actually grown vegetables a couple years at the first building of the bed and the last two years. The other 15 plus years it was a wild life habitat that grew many species of insects and weeds. Originally, this area was double dug and enriched with peat and compost. I can't remember what I grew there but I think I covered the area with lawn clippings. The lawn clipping fresh from the yard idea didn't work to well as it heated up, packed down, and got moldy within a couple weeks. It really needs to be composted first. This first bed orginally started with two layers of landscaping timbers and this fall I decided to add another layer so as it stands now it's three layers high. That's about 10 inches of depth from ground level. As I mow the yard the last time this year, I plan on bagging the grass leaf mixture and dumping it in the eventual three beds that will all be three layers high. I'm hoping this will give the mixture a chance to compost down over the winter. Next spring I will double dig the new beds and fluff up the old bed and give the top a good spread of more compost to retain moisture and inhibit weed growth.
The long skinny poles on the path between the beds will be used to build the support for the vertical growth on the new bed on the left. Rough plans for this area will be to plant tomatoes, pole beans, and cucumbers. These plans are all up to change.
It's been kind of yucky weather with misty rain and high winds the last couple days which prevented me from working in the garden or yard much.
That's it for today. I hope to have more completed in a couple days.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
The patio main picture is actually my front patio that I build last year and certainly enjoyed this year. I call it the poor man's living patio because the bricks are really not bricks but a colored concrete patio block made to look like bricks. It's way cheaper than actual bricks and doesn't look really too bad.